Housing (Private Rented Dwellings) Act, 1982


Rented Dwellings-Registration, Rent Books, Standards.

Registration of rented dwellings.

24.—(1) The Minister shall make regulations requiring the landlords of any class of dwelling let for rent to register the tenancy of each dwelling with the housing authority in whose functional area the dwelling is situated and to furnish such particulars as the regulations may specify, including the name and address of the landlord and of the tenant and the amount of the rent.

(2) The regulations shall contain such provisions as the Minister considers necessary for the purposes of this section.

(3) The regulations shall provide that an application to register a dwelling shall be accompanied by such fee as may be prescribed from time to time by the Minister by regulations.

(4) A housing authority shall keep a register (in this section referred to as the register) for the purposes of this section in respect of all dwellings in the functional area of the authority to which regulations under this section relate and shall make all such entries therein as may from time to time be appropriate in accordance with this section and regulations made by the Minister.

(5) The register shall be kept at the offices of the housing authority and shall be available for inspection during normal office hours.

(6) A document purporting to be a copy of an entry in the register and to be certified by an officer of the housing authority as a correct copy shall be prima facie evidence of the entry and it shall not be necessary to prove the signature of such officer or that he was in fact such officer.

(7) Evidence of an entry in the register may be given by the production of a copy thereof certified in accordance with subsection (6) and it shall not be necessary to produce the register.

(8) Where an application is made to a housing authority for a copy of an entry in the register, the copy shall be issued to the applicant on payment by him of such fee (if any) in respect of each entry as the Minister may, from time to time, prescribe by regulations.

(9) All fees received by a housing authority by virtue of regulations under this section shall be paid, in the case of a council of a county, into the county fund and, in the case of a corporation of a county or other borough or the council of an urban district, into the municipal fund.