Housing Act, 1966

Grants by certain housing authorities for accommodation for person suffering from pulmonary tuberculosis.

32.—(1) Subject to subsection (2) of this section, a housing authority who are the council of a county or the corporation of a county borough may make a grant to the owner or the person in occupation of a house providing an extra room in or attached to the house or a hut or chalet within the curtilage of the house.

(2) A grant may be made under this section if, but only if, the housing authority are satisfied that a member of the household of the house is suffering from pulmonary tuberculosis for which he is undergoing treatment and that the existing accommodation of the house is inadequate for his proper treatment or for his segregation from other members of the household.

(3) A grant under this section shall not exceed the cost, as approved by the Minister, of the provision of the extra room, hut or chalet.

(4) Where a housing authority make a grant under this section, the Minister may, with the consent of the Minister for Finance and subject to such regulations as may be made by the Minister for the purposes of this section, recoup to the authority an amount not exceeding—

(a) two-thirds of the amount estimated by the Minister to be the cost of providing the extra room, hut or chalet, or

(b) two hundred pounds,

whichever is the less.

(5) The works in respect of which a grant is proposed to be made under this section may, with the consent of the person in occupation of the house, be carried out by the housing authority.