Housing Act, 1966

Grants by Minister for provision of second houses on transfer of certain holdings.

17.—(1) The Minister may, with the consent of the Minister for Finance and subject to such regulations as may be made by the Minister for the purposes of this section, make, out of moneys provided by the Oireachtas, to a person providing a house, who is ordinarily resident in a rural area and who derives his livelihood solely or mainly from the pursuit of agriculture, a grant of such amount as may be appropriate having regard to subsection (2) of this section if, but only if—

(a) the erection of the house commenced or commences on or after 1st July, 1965,

(b) the total floor area of all the floors of the house when measured in the prescribed manner is less than five hundred square feet,

(c) the Minister is satisfied—

(i) that the house is sufficient for the needs of the person by whom it is provided and is occupied by him as his normal place of residence,

(ii) that the person has transferred his holding or a substantial part thereof to a member of his family or to the Irish Land Commission, and

(iii) either that another house has been or will be vacated by the person and is or will be occupied by a member of the family of the person as his normal place of residence or that the Irish Land Commission have purchased or have agreed to purchase the other house.

(2) A grant under this section shall not exceed—

(a) in case sewerage facilities and piped water supply cannot reasonably be provided, one hundred pounds,

(b) in case sewerage facilities and piped water supply are provided, one hundred and seventy-five pounds.