S.I. No. 57/2017 - Building Regulations (Part B Amendment) Regulations 2017.
Notice of the making of this Statutory Instrument was published in
“Iris Oifigiúil” of 3rd March, 2017.
I, SIMON COVENEY, Minister for Housing, Planning, Community and Local Government, in exercise of the powers conferred on me by section 3 (as amended by sections 4 and 7 of the Building Control Act 2007 (No. 21 of 2007)) and section 18 of the Building Control Act 1990 (No. 3 of 1990) (as adapted by the Environment, Community and Local Government (Alteration of Name of Department and Title of Minister) Order 2016 ( S.I. No. 394 of 2016 )), hereby make the following regulations:
1. (1) These Regulations may be cited as the Building Regulations (Part B Amendment) Regulations 2017.
(2) These Regulations and the Building Regulations 1997 ( S.I. No. 497 of 1997 ) may be cited as the Building Regulations 1997 to 2017 and shall be construed together as one.
2. Subject to Regulation 3, these Regulations come into operation on 1 July 2017.
3. These Regulations shall apply to works, or a building in which a material change of use takes place, where the works or the change of use commence or take place, as the case may be, on or after 1 July 2017.
Amendment to the Building Regulations 1997
4. The Building Regulations 1997 are amended by inserting after requirement B5 in Part B of the Second Schedule the following:—
Given under my Official Seal,
28 February 2017.
Minister for Housing, Planning, Community and Local Government.
(This note is not part of the instrument and does not purport to be a legal interpretation).
These Regulations amend Part B (Fire Safety) of the Second Schedule to the Building Regulations 1997 ( S.I. No. 497 of 1997 ) in order to make provision for essential fire safety requirements for dwelling houses.
These amendments provide for new technical guidance in respect of:—
• enhanced requirements for the early detection and warning of fire;
• improved protection for the occupiers of dwelling houses from the risk of fire;
• new fire safety requirements for community dwelling houses;
• the provision of a specific Technical Guidance Document for dwelling houses;
• compliance with, and reference to, new European Standards;
• modified guidance to align with changes in standards and building practices;
• a general update of guidance and references.
The operative date of these Regulations is 1 July 2017.