S.I. No. 52/2017 - Sea-Fisheries (Quotas) Regulations 2017.
Notice of the making of this Statutory Instrument was published in
“Iris Oifigiúil” of 24th February, 2017.
I, MICHAEL CREED, Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine, in exercise of the powers conferred on me by sections 3 and 14 of the Sea-Fisheries and Maritime Jurisdiction Act 2006 (No. 8 of 2006) and the Sea-Fisheries, Foreshore and Dumping at Sea (Transfer of Departmental Administration and Ministerial Functions) Order 2007 ( S.I. No. 707 of 2007 ) (as adapted by the Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (Alteration of Name of Department and Title of Minister) Order 2011 ( S.I. No. 455 of 2011 )), for the purpose of giving full effect to Council Regulation (EU) 2017/127 of 20 January 20171 hereby make the following regulations:
1. These Regulations may be cited as the Sea-Fisheries (Quotas) Regulations 2016.
2. (1) In these Regulations—
“Quota Regulation” means Council Regulation (EU) 2017/127 of 20 January 2017.
(2) A word or expression that is used in the Quota Regulation and is also used in these Regulations, has, unless the context otherwise requires, the same meaning in these Regulations as it has in the Quota Regulation.
3. The master of—
(a) an Irish sea-fishing boat wherever it may be, or
(b) a sea-fishing boat in the exclusive fishing limits of the State
shall comply with Articles 5(2), 7, 8, 11, 12, 18, 19, 23, 24, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31(2), 32, 34, 35, 36(2), 37, 40 and 41 of the Quota Regulation.
4. (1) The master of a sea-fishing boat in the exclusive fishing limits of the State, other than the master of an Irish sea-fishing boat, shall comply with Article 9 (1), (2) and (3) of the Quota Regulation in relation to sea bass.
(2) Any person engaged in recreational fisheries that is fishing for sea bass shall comply with Article 9(4), (5) and (6) of the Quota Regulation.
(3) These Regulations are in addition to and not in substitution for the Bass (Conservation of Stocks) Regulations 2006 ( S.I. No. 230 of 2006 ).
5. The Sea-Fisheries (Quotas) Regulations 2016 ( S.I. No. 112 of 2016 ) are revoked.
GIVEN under my Official Seal,
15 February 2017.
Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine.
(This note is not part of the Instrument and does not purport to be a legal interpretation)
These Regulations have the purpose of giving effect to the provisions of Council Regulation 2017/127 of 20 January 2017 fixing for 2017 the fishing opportunities for certain fish stocks and groups of fish stocks, applicable in Union waters and, for Union fishing vessels, in certain non-Union waters.