Option of fined person to pay fine by single payment or instalments
6. (1) Subject to subsection (5), a fined person may, at his or her option, effect the payment of the fine by—
(a) (i) a single payment made on or before the relevant date for payment, or
(ii) the payment of instalments—
(I) calculated in such manner as may be prescribed, and
(II) at such frequency as may be prescribed,
(b) such means as may be prescribed for making such payment, and
(c) making such payment to such person as may be prescribed.
(2) Where a fined person exercises his or her option to pay the fine by instalments under subsection (1)(a)(ii), the person shall pay the first instalment of the fine on or before the relevant date for payment and the final instalment of the fine not later than 12 months after the relevant date for payment.
(3) A court shall, when imposing a fine on a person, inform the fined person of the 2 options available to the person under subsection (1)(a).
(4) Where a fined person exercises his or her option to pay the fine by instalments under subsection (1)(a)(ii), he or she is also required to pay such administration fee, not exceeding 10 per cent of the value of the fine, as may be prescribed.
(5) (a) The option to pay a fine by instalments under subsection (1)(a)(ii) shall only apply in respect of—
(i) a fine that exceeds such amount greater than €100 as may be prescribed, or
(ii) if no such amount stands prescribed, a fine that exceeds €100.
(b) Where 2 or more fines are imposed on a person at a court sitting and the option to pay any one or more of those fines by instalments is not available because of the operation of paragraph (a), the court may, in its order specifying the date by which such a fine is required to be paid in respect of which such option is not available, specify, if it thinks it appropriate in all the circumstances, a date that is later than the date it would have specified if that option had been available in respect of that fine but not taken by the fined person.
(6) In this section “relevant date for payment”, in relation to a fine, means—
(a) if the fined person has opted to pay the full fine under subsection (1)(a)(i), the date by which the fine is required to be paid in accordance with the order of the court that imposed the fine, and
(b) if the fined person has opted to pay the fine by instalments under subsection (1)(a)(ii), 42 days from the date on which the fine was imposed.