S.I. No. 542/2012 - Vehicle Registration and Taxation (Amendment) Regulations 2012.
Notice of the making of this Statutory Instrument was published in
“Iris Oifigiúil” of 1st January, 2013.
1. These Regulations may be cited as the Vehicle Registration and Taxation (Amendment) Regulations 2012.
2. These Regulations come into operation on 1 January 2013.
3. In these Regulations “Regulations of 1992” means the Vehicle Registration and Taxation Regulations 1992 ( S.I. No. 318 of 1992 ).
4. Regulation 9 of the Regulations of 1992 is amended—
(a) in paragraph (1) by inserting “first brought into use on or before 31 December 2012 and” after “to a vehicle”,
(b) by inserting the following paragraph after paragraph (1):
“(1A) The identification mark assigned by the Commissioners under section 131(5) of the Act to a vehicle first brought into use on or after 1 January 2013 and entered in the register (in this Regulation referred to as the ‘identification mark’) shall consist of—
(a) the third and fourth numerals of the year in which the vehicle is first brought into use,
(b)(i) the numeral ‘1’ for vehicles first brought into use during the period 1 January to 30 June in any year, or
(ii) the numeral ‘2’ for vehicles first brought into use during the period 1 July to 31 December in any year,
(c) an index mark, as provided for in the table to paragraph 4 of the First Schedule to these Regulations, corresponding to the functional area of the licensing authority in which the owner at the time of registration ordinarily resides,
(d) a number which when combined with the appropriate numerals and mark aforesaid produces a unique combination,
(e) in the case of a vehicle which the Commissioners are satisfied was constructed or first brought into use more than 30 years prior to the time of registration, and the person applying for registration so requests, an index mark ZV and a unique number.”,
(c) in paragraph (3) by substituting “paragraphs (1)(c) and (1A)(d)” for “subparagraph (1)(c)”.
5. The First Schedule to the Regulations of 1992 is amended—
(a) in paragraph 2 by inserting “first brought into use on or before 31 December 2012” after “vehicle”,
(b) by inserting the following paragraph after paragraph 2:
“2A.The identification mark of a vehicle first brought into use on or after 1 January 2013 shall be displayed on a rectangular plate which shall correspond with either Diagram No. 3 or Diagram No. 4 shown below:
Diagram No. 3
Diagram No. 4
(c) in paragraph 18(b) by inserting “or in Diagram No. 3 or Diagram No. 4 in paragraph 2A of this Schedule” after “in paragraph 2 of this Schedule”, and
(d) in paragraph 19 by inserting “or Diagram No. 4” after “Diagram No. 2”.
GIVEN under my Hand,
20 December 2012.
(This note is not part of the Instrument and does not purport to be a legal interpretation.)
1. These regulations amend the Vehicle Registration and Taxation Regulations, 1992 ( S.I. No. 318 of 1992 ) and prescribe the format, dimensions and technical specifications of registration plates to be displayed on vehicles first brought into use up to and including 31 December 2012 and also from 1 January 2013.