Criteria for membership.
9.— (1) A person shall not be appointed by the Government to be a member of the Authority or a statutory committee unless he or she has had experience of or shown capacity in one or more of the following areas—
(a) media affairs,
(b) public service broadcasting, commercial broadcasting or community broadcasting,
(c) broadcast content production,
(d) digital media technologies,
(e) trade union affairs,
(f) business or commercial affairs,
(g) matters pertaining to the development of the Irish language,
(h) matters pertaining to disability,
(i) arts, music, sport or culture,
(j) science, technology or environmental matters,
(k) legal or regulatory affairs, and
(l) social, educational or community affairs or Gaeltacht affairs.
(2) Each member of the Authority and a statutory committee shall be appointed for a period not exceeding 5 years and shall represent the public interest in respect of broadcasting matters.
(3) The Government and the Authority in setting a term of appointment under subsection (2) shall consider the need for continuity of membership of the Authority and a statutory committee.
(4) A member of the Authority or a statutory committee whose term of office expires by the effluxion of time is eligible for re-appointment.
(5) A member of the Authority or a statutory committee shall not serve more than 2 consecutive terms of office.
(6) A member of the Authority or a statutory committee appointed by the Government may at any time resign his or her office by letter addressed to the Government and the resignation shall take effect on the date specified therein or upon receipt of the letter by the Government, whichever is the later.
(7) A member of the Authority or a member of staff of the Authority who is appointed by the Authority to serve on a statutory committee may at any time resign his or her position on such committee by letter addressed to the chairperson of the Authority and the resignation shall take effect on the date specified therein or upon receipt of the letter by the chairperson of the Authority, whichever is the later.