S.I. No. 441/2008 - County of Galway Local Electoral Areas Order 2008
Notice of the making of this Statutory Instrument was published in
“Iris Oifigiúil” of 7th November, 2008.
The Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government, in exercise of the powers conferred on him by sections 3 and 24 of the Local Government Act 1994 (No. 8 of 1994), hereby orders as follows:
1. This order may be cited as the County of Galway Local Electoral Areas Order 2008.
2. (1) The County of Galway shall be divided into the local electoral areas which are named in the first column of the Schedule to this Order.
(2) Each such local electoral area shall consist of the area described in the second column of the Schedule to this Order opposite the name of such local electoral area.
(3) The number of members of Galway County Council to be elected for each such local electoral area shall be the number set out in the third column of the Schedule to this Order opposite the name of that local electoral area.
3. Every reference in the Schedule to this Order to an electoral division or town shall be construed as referring to such electoral division or town as existing at the date of this Order and every reference to a former rural district shall be construed as a reference to that district as constituted immediately before the 1st day of October 1925.
4. The County of Galway Local Electoral Areas Order 1998 ( S.I. No. 296 of 1998 ) is hereby revoked.
GIVEN under my Official Seal,
31 October 2008.
Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government.
(This note is not part of the Instrument and does not purport to be a legal interpretation).
The effect of this Order is to amend the division of County Galway into local electoral areas and to fix the number of members of Galway County Council to be elected for each such area.