Membership of Board of Authority and term of office of members.
14.— (1) There shall be a Board of the Authority.
(2) Members of the Board shall be appointed by the Minister.
(3) The Board shall consist of a chairperson and not less than 6 and not more than 11 ordinary members.
(4) Each member of the Board shall be a person who in the opinion of the Minister has wide experience and competence in relation to roads, road safety, transport, driver education and examination, industrial and commercial matters, local government, the organisation of workers or administration.
(5) A member of the Board shall not be eligible for re-appointment if he or she has served two consecutive terms as a member of the Board.
(6) The Minister, when appointing an ordinary member of the Board, shall fix such member's period of membership which shall not exceed 5 years and, subject to this section, membership shall be on such terms as the Minister determines.
(7) Such number, as decided by the Minister, of the first ordinary members of the Board appointed under subsection (2) shall hold office for a period not exceeding 4 years from the date of their appointment as determined by the Minister by lot.
(8) A member of the Board may at any time resign his or her membership by letter addressed to the Minister and the resignation shall take effect from the date of receipt of the letter by the Minister.
(9) A member of the Board shall be paid out of funds at the disposal of the Authority—
(a) such remuneration (if any) as may be fixed from time to time by the Minister with the agreement of the Minister for Finance, and
(b) such amounts in respect of expenses (if any) as the Minister with the agreement of the Minister for Finance may determine.
(10) A member of the Board may at any time be removed from membership of the Board by the Minister if, in the Minister's opinion, the member has become incapable through ill-health of performing his or her functions, or has committed stated misbehaviour, or his or her removal appears to the Minister to be necessary for the effective performance by the Board of its functions.
(11) (a) If a member of the Board dies, resigns, becomes disqualified or is removed from office, the Minister may appoint a person to be a member of the Board to fill the casual vacancy so occasioned and the person so appointed shall be appointed in the same manner as the member of the Board who occasioned the casual vacancy.
(b) Subject to the other provisions of this section, a person appointed to be a member of the Board by virtue of paragraph (a) shall hold office for the remainder of the term of office of the member who occasioned the casual vacancy he or she is appointed to fill and shall be eligible for re-appointment for one further consecutive term as a member of the Board.
(c) The Authority may act notwithstanding a vacancy amongst its members.
(12) A member of the Board shall cease to hold and shall be disqualified from holding office if he or she—
(a) is adjudged bankrupt,
(b) makes a composition or arrangement with creditors,
(c) is sentenced by a court of competent jurisdiction to a term of imprisonment, or
(d) is disqualified or restricted from being a director of any company.