Planning and Development Act, 2000
Supplementary development contribution schemes.
49.—(1) A planning authority may, when granting a permission nunder section 34 , include conditions requiring the payment of a contribution in respect of any public infrastructure service or project—
(a) specified in a scheme made by the planning authority (hereafter in this section referred to as a “supplementary development contribution scheme”),
(b) provided or carried out, as may be appropriate, by a planning nauthority or, pursuant to an agreement entered into nby a local authority, any other person, and
(c) that will benefit the development to which the permission relates when carried out.
(2) (a) The amount, and manner of payment, of a contribution under subsection (1) shall be determined in accordance with a supplementary development contribution scheme.
(b) A supplementary development contribution scheme shall specify—
(i) the area or areas within the functional area of the planning authority, and
(ii) the public infrastructure project or service,
to which it relates, and more than one such scheme may be made in respect of a particular area.
(c) A supplementary development contribution scheme may make provision for the payment of different contributions in respect of different classes or descriptions of development.
(3) Subsections (3), (4), (5), (6), (7), (8), (9), (10), (11) and (15) of section 48 shall apply to a scheme subject to—
(a) the modification that references in those subsections to a scheme shall be construed as references to a supplementary development contribution scheme,
(b) any other necessary modifications, and
(c) the provisions of this section.
(4) (a) A planning authority may enter into an agreement with any person in relation to the carrying out, or the provision, as may be appropriate, of a public infrastructure project or service.
(b) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraph (a), an agreement may make provision for—
(i) the manner in which the service or project is to be provided or carried out, as the case may be, including provision relating to construction or maintenance of any infrastructure or operation of any service or facility,
(ii) arrangements regarding the financing of the project or service and the manner in which contributions paid or owed to a planning authority pursuant to a condition under subsection (1) may be applied in respect of that project or service,
(iii) the entry into such further agreements as may be necessary with any other person regarding the financing and provision of such service or carrying out of such project,
(iv) the entry into force, duration and monitoring of the agreement (including the resolution of disputes).
(5) A planning authority shall not, pursuant to a condition under subsection (1), require the payment of a contribution in respect of a public infrastructure project or service where the person concerned has made a contribution under section 48 in respect of public infrastructure and facilities of which the said public infrastructure project or service constituted a part.
(6) A planning authority may, at any time, by resolution, amend a supplementary development contribution scheme for the purpose of modifying the manner of determining a contribution pursuant to a condition under subsection (1) where the cost of carrying out or providing, as the case may be, the public infrastructure project or service is less than the cost that was estimated when the planning authority first determined the amount of the contribution.
(7) In this section, “public infrastructure project or service” means—
(a) the provision of particular rail, light rail or other public transport infrastructure, including car parks and other ancillary development,
(b) the provision of particular new roads,
(c) the provision of particular new sewers, waste, water and water treatment facilities, drains or watermains and ancillary infrastructure.