Planning and Development Act, 2000
Designation of sites for strategic development zones.
166.—(1) Where, in the opinion of the Government, specified development is of economic or social importance to the State, the Government may by order, when so proposed by the Minister, designate one or more sites for the establishment, in accordance with the provisions of this Part, of a strategic development zone to facilitate such development.
(2) The Minister shall, before proposing the designation of a site or sites to the Government under subsection (1), consult with any relevant development agency or planning authority on the proposed designation.
(3) An order under subsection (1) shall—
(a) specify the development agency or development agencies for the purposes of section 168 ,
(b) specify the type or types of development that may be established in the strategic development zone, and
(c) state the reasons for specifying the development and for designating the site or sites.
(4) The Minister shall send a copy of any order made under this section to any relevant development agency, planning authority and regional authority and to the Board.
(5) Development that is specified in an order under subsection (3) shall be deemed to include development that is ancillary to, or required for, the purposes of development so specified, and may include any necessary infrastructural and community facilities and services.
(6) The Government may revoke or amend an order made under this section.