Copyright and Related Rights Act, 2000
Right to equitable remuneration where rental right transferred.
125.—(1) Without prejudice to the generality of section 124 , where an author has transferred his or her rental right he or she retains the right to equitable remuneration for the rental.
(2) The right to equitable remuneration conferred by this section shall not be waived by the author and the author shall not assign the right to equitable remuneration except to a collecting society for the purpose of enabling the collecting society to exercise that right on his or her behalf.
(3) The right to equitable remuneration is transmissible by way of testamentary disposition or by operation of law, as personal or moveable property and it may be further transmitted, including by assignment, by any person who legally acquires the right.
(4) Equitable remuneration under this section is payable by the person to whom the rental right is transferred or any successor in title.
(5) Subject to section 126 , the amount payable by way of equitable remuneration is that which has been agreed by or on behalf of the persons by and to whom it is payable.
(6) An agreement is void in so far as it purports to exclude or restrict the right to equitable remuneration conferred by this section.
(7) References in this Part to the transfer of the rental right by one person to another include any arrangement having that effect whether made by them directly or through intermediaries.
(8) In this section, “collecting society” means a society or other organisation which has as one of its main objects the exercise of the right to collect equitable remuneration under this section on behalf of more than one author.