S.I. No. 146/1998 - Waste Management (Amendment of Waste Management Act, 1996) Regulations, 1998
S.I. No. 146 of 1998.
WASTE MANAGEMENT (AMENDMENT OF WASTE MANAGEMENT ACT, 1996) REGULATIONS, 1998
In exercise of the powers conferred on the Minister for the Environment and Local Government by sections 7 and 51 of the Waste Management Act, 1996 (No. 10 of 1996), which said powers are delegated to me by the Environment and Local Government (Delegation of Ministerial Functions)(No. 2) Order, 1997 ( S.I. No. 428 of 1997 ), I, Dan Wallace, Minister of State at the Department of the Environment and Local Government, hereby make the following Regulations:—
1. (1) These Regulations may be cited as the Waste Management (Amendment of Waste Management Act, 1996 ) Regulations, 1998.
(2) These Regulations shall come into operation on the 20th day of May, 1998.
(3) The purposes for which these Regulations are made include the purpose of giving effect to provisions of Council Directive 86/278/EEC (1) of 12 June, 1986 on the protection of the environment, and in particular of the soil, when sewage sludge is used in agriculture.
(1) O.J. No. L 181/6, 4 July 1986.
2. Section 51(2)(a) of the Waste Management Act, 1996 is hereby amended by the substitution of the following subparagraph for subparagraph (i):
"(i) residual sludge from—
(A) sewage plants treating domestic or urban waste waters and from other sewage plants treating waste waters of a composition similar to domestic and urban waste waters,
(B) septic tanks and other similar installations for the treatment of sewage, or
(C) sewage plants other than those referred to in (A) and (B),".
Dated this 12th day of May, 1998
Minister of State at the Department of the Environment and Local Government