S.I. No. 50/1991 - Road Traffic (Speed Meter Detectors) Regulations, 1991.
S.I. No. 50 of 1991.
ROAD TRAFFIC (SPEED METER DETECTORS) REGULATIONS, 1991.
The Minister for the Environment in exercise of the powers conferred on him by sections 5 and 11 of the Road Traffic Act, 1961 (No. 24 of 1961) and by section 9 of the Road Traffic Act, 1968 (No. 25 of 1968) hereby makes the following Regulations:—
1. These Regulations may be cited as the Road Traffic (Speed Meter Detectors) Regulations, 1991.
2. These Regulations shall come into operation on the 1st day of April, 1991.
3. In these Regulations, "speed meter detector" means any device which is capable of being used to indicate the existence of, or to frustrate the operation of, electronic or other apparatus being used to give indications from which the speed at which a person was driving can be inferred.
4. A person shall not use in a public place a mechanically propelled vehicle to which is fitted, or in or on which is carried, a speed meter detector whether or not such device is actually in use.
5. (1) The importation or supplying of, or offering to supply, a speed meter detector is hereby prohibited.
(2) The fitting of, or offering to fit, a speed meter detector to a mechanically propelled vehicle is hereby prohibited.
6. Article 5 of these Regulations shall be a penal Regulation.
GIVEN under the Official Seal of the Minister for the Environment
this 14th day of March, 1991.
Minister for the Environment.
These Regulations prohibit importation, supply, fitting and use of speed meter detectors and jammers.