S.I. No. 172/1987 - Industrial Research and Standards (Section 44) (Electrical Plugs, Plug Similar Devices and Sockets) Order, 1987.
S.I. No. 172 of 1987.
INDUSTRIAL RESEARCH AND STANDARDS (SECTION 44) (ELECTRICAL PLUGS, PLUG SIMILAR DEVICES AND SOCKETS) ORDER, 1987.
I, ALBERT REYNOLDS, Minister for Industry and Commerce, in exercise of the powers conferred on me by section 44 of the Industrial Research and Standards Act, 1961 (No. 20 of 1961), hereby order as follows:
1. (1) This Order may be cited as the Industrial Research and Standards (Section 44) (Electrical Plugs, Plug Similar Devices and Sockets) Order, 1987.
(2) This Order shall come into operation on the 1st day of July, 1987.
2. This Order shall not apply to 13 ampere rewireable plugs.
3. In this Order, unless the context otherwise requires:
"adaptor" means a portable accessory having plug pins, intended to engage with the contacts of a socket-outlet, and having socket-outlet contacts to accommodate one or more plugs;
"plug" means a portable fused accessory having projecting pins designed to engage with the contacts of a corresponding socket-outlet and incorporating means for the mechanical retention of an electrical cord and for transmitting an electrical current passing through the cord;
"plug-similar device" means a device incorporating plug pins and intended to be plugged directly into a socket outlet and includes—
(a) an adaptor,
(b) a small power supply incorporating plug pins and intended to be plugged directly into a socket-outlet,
(c) a plug-in time switch incorporating a socket-outlet,
(d) a plug-in earth leakage circuit breaker,
(e) a lamp-plug combination, or
(f) any similar device;
"power supply" means a unit which takes energy from the mains electricity supply and supplies it in a form suitable for operating electronic circuits;
"socket-outlet" means an accessory having a set of three socket-contacts designed to engage with the pins of a corresponding plug and having terminals for the connection of appropriate electrical cables or electrical cords.
4. It shall be unlawful to manufacture, assemble, or sell any—
(a) socket-outlet including a socket-outlet complying with the provisions of the Industrial Research and Standards Act (Section 44) (Electrical Mains Socket-outlets) Order, 1973 ( S.I. No. 322 of 1973 ),
(b) plug which is intended for insertion into socket-outlet of a type specified in paragraph (a) of this Article, or
(c) plug-similar device or any device incorporating a socket-outlet,
(i) Such socket-outlet, plug, plug-similar device or device incorporating a socket-outlet complies with the safety requirements set out in the Schedule to this Order, or
(ii) such manufacturer, assembler or seller can show that such socket-outlet, plug or plug-similar device complies with the provisions of the standards specified in column (2) of the Table to this Article opposite the mention of the socket-outlet, plug and plug-similar device in column (1) of the said Table.
5. The provisions of this Order shall from its coming into operation have effect in lieu of the provisions of the Industrial Research and Standards (Section 44) (Electrical Plugs and Sockets) Order, 1983 ( S.I. No. 178 of 1983 ), and accordingly that Order is hereby revoked.
SAFETY OBJECTIVES FOR ELECTRICAL SOCKET-OUTLETS, PLUGS AND PLUG SIMILAR DEVICES
1. General Conditions:
(a) The manufacturer's or brand name or trade mark shall be clearly indicated on socket-outlets, plugs or plug-similar devices.
(b) Socket-outlets which conform to sub-clause 4.1 and 4.2 of I.S. 180:1973 and plugs intended for insertion into such socket-outlets shall have their live, neutral and earth contacts marked L.N. and E, respectively, according to the following practice:
(i) when viewed from the front of a socket-outlet the positions of the contacts shall be—
(ii) when viewed from the front of a plug the positions of the contacts shall be—
(c) The rating of plugs intended for insertions into socket-outlets which comply with the provisions of the Industrial Research and Standards Act (Section 44) (Electrical Mains Socket-outlets) Order, 1973, shall be the same as the rating of the corresponding socket-outlets as specified in Clause 3 of I.S. 180:1973.
(d) Socket-outlets, plugs and plug-similar devices shall be so designed, manufactured and constructed as to ensure that protection against the hazards specified in paragraphs 2 and 3 of this Schedule is assured provided that such socket-outlets, plugs or plug-similar devices are used for purposes for which they were apparently intended by the manufacturer thereof and are adequately maintained.
2. Protection against hazards arising from socket-outlets, plugs or plug-similar devices. For the purposes of complying with provisions of paragraph 1 (d) of this Schedule, socket-outlets, plugs or plug-similar devices shall be designed, manufactured and constructed so that:
(a) persons are adequately protected against danger or physical injury or other harm which might be caused by electrical contact direct or indirect,
(b) temperatures or arcs which would cause a danger to persons or property are not produced,
(c) foreseeable non-electrical dangers are not caused by socket-outlets, plugs, or plug-similar devices to persons or property, and
(d) the electrical insulation is adequate.
3. Protections against hazards which may be caused by external influences on socket-outlets, plugs or plug-similar devices. For the purposes of complying with the provisions of paragraph 1 (d) of this Schedule, socket-outlets, plugs or plug-similar devices shall be so designed, manufactured and constructed that they are capable of withstanding such rough handling as could reasonably be expected in normal use, so that persons and property are not endangered.
GIVEN under my Official Seal, this 30th day of June, 1987.
Minister for Industry and Commerce.
The purpose of this Order is to prohibit the manufacture, assembly or sale of electrical plugs, plug-similar devices or socket-outlets unless they meet certain specified requirements. The objective of the Order is, in the interests of greater safety, to ensure that plugs, plug-similar devices and socket-outlets are designed, manufactured and constructed to a particular standard so as not to endanger persons or property. Copies of the Standards specified in Table to Article 4 of this Order are available at the National Standards Authority of Ireland, Sales Section, Standards Publications, Glasnevin, Dublin 9 — Telephone: (01) 370101; Telex: 32501; Fax: 379620.
This Order does not cover 13 ampere rewirable plugs, these are covered by S.I. 173:1987.