Provision of dispensaries, medicines, etc.
42.—(1) In this section the expression “separate dispensary” means a dispensary for the exclusive use of the medical officer or officers of one particular dispensary district.
(2) Every public assistance authority shall provide and maintain dispensaries for the use of the medical officers of the several dispensary districts in their public assistance district.
(3) The following provisions shall apply and have effect in relation to the provision and maintenance of dispensaries in pursuance of the next preceding sub-section of this section, that is to say:—
(a) there shall be at least one dispensary in every dispensary district;
(b) in addition to such one dispensary, there shall be in every dispensary district such and so many (if any) other dispensaries as the Minister shall direct;
(c) at least one of the dispensaries in every dispensary district shall, unless the Minister otherwise directs, be a separate dispensary;
(d) a public assistance authority shall not provide or maintain,without the consent of the Minister, any dispensary which is not a separate dispensary.
(4) Every public assistance authority shall keep in proper condition and repair to the satisfaction of the Minister every dispensary maintained by them in pursuance of this section.
(5) Every public assistance authority shall, in accordance with regulations made by the Minister under this section, provide and supply for the use of every dispensary maintained by them under this section all such furniture, fittings, medical and surgical appliances, medicines, and other requisites as shall, in the opinion of the Minister, be necessary or proper for the due working of such dispensary in accordance with this Act.
(6) Where the medical officer of a dispensary district (in this sub-section referred to as the first-mentioned dispensary district) in a public assistance district is also the medical officer of an adjoining dispensary district (in this sub-section referred to as the adjoining dispensary district) which is situate in another public assistance district, the public assistance authority for such first-mentioned public assistance district (in this sub-section referred to as the contributing authority) may, with the consent of the Minister, perform the duties imposed on them by this section in respect of the first-mentioned dispensary district by agreeing with the public assistance authority for such other public assistance district (in this sub-section referred to as the providing authority)—
(a) that one or more dispensaries provided and maintained for the adjoining dispensary district by the providing authority together with the furniture, fittings, medical and surgical appliances, medicines, and other requisites supplied by the providing authority to such dispensary or dispensaries shall be available and used for the first-mentioned dispensary district, and
(b) that, as soon as may be after the end of every local financial year, the contributing authority shall pay to the providing authority such proportion of the expenses incurred in such year by the providing authority in the maintenance of such dispensary or dispensaries and the supply of requisites thereto as shall be agreed upon by the contributing authority and the providing authority or shall, in default of such agreement, be determined by the Minister.