Admission to district institutions of persons not eligible for public assistance.
37.—(1) A public assistance authority may, if they so think proper, make regulations authorising the admission of persons not eligible for public assistance to any particular district institution maintained by such publie assistance authority and regulating the admission of such persons to such institution and the accommodation and treatment of such persons therein.
(2) Regulations made by a public assistance authority under the foregoing sub-section of this section shall be submitted by such authority to the Minister for his approval and may be approved of by the Minister (if he thinks proper so to do) either with or without modification and shall come into operation if and when and as so approved of.
(3) The Minister may at any time require a public assistance authority to make and submit regulations (including amending regulations) under the foregoing provisions of this section in respect of any particular district institution maintained by such authority, and, if such authority does not so make and submit such regulations within three months after being required by the Minister so to do or if such authority makes and submits in pursuance of such requisition regulations which the Minister refuses to approve of, the Minister, if he so thinks proper, may himself make the regulations mentioned in such requisition and may by such regulations appoint the day on which such regulations shall come into operation.
(4) Regulations made under this section—
(a) shall contain provisions requiring persons admitted under such regulations to the district institution to which such regulations relate to make payments to the public assistance authority maintaining such district institution for the accommodation and treatment received by them in such district institution, and regulating the amount of such payments, and
(b) may contain provisions authorising persons so admitted to make payments to registered medical practitioners in the service of such public assistance authority in respect of treatment afforded to such persons in such district institution by such practitioners and controlling the amount of such payments, and
(c) shall provide that no person shall be admitted to such district institution under such regulations unless there is available for him in such district institution at the time of his admission thereto accommodation not required for persons eligible for public assistance and admissible to such district institution.
(5) No person who is not eligible for public assistance shall be admitted to or accommodated or treated in a district institution unless regulations made under this section are in operation in respect of such district institution, and no such person shall be admitted to or accommodated or treated in such district institution otherwise than in accordance with such regulations.
(6) A registered medical practitioner in the service of a public assistance authority maintaining a district institution shall not demand or take from any person admitted to such district institution under regulations made under this section any payment in respect of treatment afforded by such practitioner to such person in such district institution unless the taking of such payment by such practitioner is expressly authorised by such regulations, and no such registered medical practitioner shall demand or take from any such person any such payment of an amount not so authorised.
(7) All money payable by a person admitted to a district institution under regulations made under this section to the public assistance authority maintaining such district institution in respect of accommodation or treatment in such district institution shall be a simple contract debt due by such person to such public assistance authority and shall be recoverable by such authority accordingly.